10.07.2010

stick your head in gravy

I'm such a baby when it comes to meeting new people. I guess I've just reverted to my shy ways. When I was a kid, I was super shy. I'd become more outgoing during high school and college, but something shut off in me over the past few years. For example, I was at the park today with one of my nanny kids, and there was another kid there with her dad. While encouraging Logan to go ahead and say hello/run with this little girl, I stood timidly with a half-smile on a good ten feet from her father. He wasn't the problem; he was perfectly friendly. Another example is when Joel and I meet new people at church or at an event for the band. I'll stand close by his side, like a kid hiding behind Mommy's legs and waiting for her to give the OK. I don't know if this is shyness or fear of rejection, but I thought about it today. Turns out I've been doing this for quite some time now--probably since around the time that Joel and I got married. If I'm just being shy, then this is no problem; but if I'm not allowing myself to meet new people because I am afraid that they won't be accepting, then I have some work to do. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment